Top 4 Tips For Finding Top Notch Menopause Care
How To Find The Best Menopause Care Provider
There is no replacement for the one on one, in-person, doctor-patient relationship. In-person visits allow for providers to physically assess your overall health, as well as provide specialized treatment or screenings on demand. The level of trust and the nature of the relationship you have with your provider, can be very powerful and can directly affect your health. This is especially true when you are dealing with the symptoms of perimenopause and menopause.
Face to face visits allow for a more valuable relationship to be established between you and your provider. The value of the physical assessment and the benefit of the personal connection made cannot be overstated.
It is often more comfortable to discuss your symptoms and concerns and ask questions in your doctor’s office than it is to ask over the telephone, computer or text. And, ultimately, in-person care allows for the creation of a genuine doctor-patient relationship. If you are struggling with that connection or your doctor isn’t discussing options with you that you would like to consider, such as hormone therapy, this article can help.
If you are fortunate enough to have a relationship with a provider that you trust, and you feel like you consistently receive the quality of care you deserve, please consider recommending his or her practice with our unbiased referral program, so that together, we may help others looking for providers.
If you currently don’t have a healthcare provider that you feel comfortable with, here are my top tips for finding a menopause healthcare provider that might be a good fit for you.
In Person Options
- Determine if you are going to use a healthcare provider that is “in-network” if you plan to use your insurance coverage, or check with your insurance company to determine what your “out of network” benefits coverage is, in the event that the provider does not accept your insurance
- Visit our Recommended Physicians list to see if there have been any referrals submitted in your area. These are not personal referrals from me, but rather a list of individual submissions and testimonials from people worldwide who have had an exceptional experience that they want to share. You can rest assured that my team at the Galveston Diet has done its due diligence to verify each referral listed. If there are no providers in your area, you can also visit the North American Menopause Society website’s Menopause Practitioner database to find a local provider.
- Many people feel most comfortable visiting a physician who is recommended by someone they know, like a family member, co-worker or friend. Ask friends and family if they would recommend their provider, or check in with town-based Facebook groups for some suggested local practices.
- Consider virtual menopause care. I know that finding a healthcare provider to work with can be challenging. Luckily, now, more than ever, there are telemedicine options. Using a search term such as “menopause telemedicine” in a search engine, such as Google, may produce results that are local to your area. Or, you can check out the following companies. The Galveston Diet and I do not endorse these online providers, but they could be a valuable resource to you if you are having trouble finding an in-person provider in your area.
|Insurance||Yes. Accepts insurance and HSA/FSA payment options (for membership & prescriptions).
Members can receive prescriptions at the local pharmacy of their choice where insurance coverage can be applied.
|No. Accepts HSA/FSA payment options.||Yes. Telemedicine visits and prescriptions covered by most major insurance plans.
Clinicians work with patients to identify prescription solutions covered by their plan. HSA/FSA payment options available (for prescriptions, supplements and botanicals).
|Cost||$29 per month with an annual plan, includes unlimited access to a personal menopause medical provider, outcomes-focused behavioral programs, educational content, and symptoms tracker. HSA/FSA payment options available.||Varies by treatment prescribed.||Insurance coverage subject to deductible and copay. Patients fill prescriptions at the local pharmacy to receive insurance-covered medications.
Self-pay varies from $250 for initial visit and $120 to $250 for subsequent visits.
|RX Cost||Covered by insurance, or available at Evernow’s below market negotiated prices.||Varies by prescribed treatment, ranging from $24.99 – $74.99 per month.||Based on individual insurance coverage. Supplements and botanicals can be purchased using HSA/FSA funds.|
|Intake||1. Complete online health profile.
2. Virtual consultation to collect details to determine if a good candidate for HT.
3. Sign up and get connected with clinician who will review health profile and answers to create a detailed treatment plan.
4. RX delivered to patient’s home or available through local pharmacy of choice.
|1. Complete online health profile.
2. Choose personalized treatment plan to be reviewed by a menopause medical provider.
3. If desired, register to discuss with a provider within 24 hours.
3. Once treatment plan is created, patient can purchase 3 months of RX for home delivery.
|1. Create an account and review insurance eligibility.
2. Schedule a telephone visit with a clinician.
3. Complete an online health profile.
4. Meet with clinician via telemedicine for an in-depth discussion and receive a care plan based on symptoms, health history and goals.
5. Blood tests or imaging may be ordered depending on health history and/or symptomatology.
6. Care plan includes prescribed medications, personalized lifestyle coaching, supplements and botanicals (can be delivered to patient’s home).
|Treatment Available||Estrogen patch, pill, cream, progesterone, estradiol, venlafaxine, paroxetine, SSRIs. Members can now consult directly with their Evernow medical provider to see if they qualify for hair loss treatments (such as oral minoxidil).
Health profile incorporates guidelines from ACOG & NAMS.
|Estradiol pill, patch, cream, paroxetine, Alloy Synbiotic, birth control pills, restorative skincare, O-mazing cream.
Board-certified physicians prescribe only FDA-approved, generic medications for the treatment of menopausal symptoms.
|Clinicians personalize treatment for each patient, recommending evidence-based solutions that may include bioidentical estrogen, progesterone, topical estrogen, non-hormonal prescriptions, supplements and botanicals.
Custom prescription solutions available to improve skin, hair and sexual wellness.
|Availability||Not available in all states.||Available in all states and Washington DC.||Currently available in 16 states with coverage expanding to all states in January 2024.|
If, after all of your efforts, you are unable to find a provider who you feel can give you the care you deserve, please don’t give up! Continue to check our Recommended Physicians repository and the North American Menopause Society website’s Menopause Practitioner database as providers are being added all the time.
There is nothing more valuable than your health! Understanding the options that are available to you, and finding healthcare providers who are as invested in your healthcare as you are, is critical!
I hope that this information helps you to feel confident and empowered to take control of your health!